The Order applies to all employees whose wages are governed by the Service Contract Act, Davis-Bacon Act or Fair Labor Standards Act, including employees who qualify for an exemption from its minimum wage and overtime provisions. The Order extends to all new Federal contracts, contract-like instruments and solicitations (collectively referred to as “contracts”). It is important to note that the Order explicitly states “Nothing shall excuse noncompliance with or supersede any applicable Federal or State law, any applicable law or municipal ordinance, or a collective bargaining agreement requiring greater paid sick leave or leave rights than those established under this order.”
Details about the Order include:
- Not less than one hour of paid sick leave is earned for every thirty hours of work
- Unused leave can be carried over from year to year
- Unused leave will be reinstated for employees rehired within twelve months after separation
- Sick leave may be used for preventative care and for care of “close association[s]”
- The Order does not require payment for accrued sick leave at separation
If you have any questions concerning this Executive Order, please contact Nick Paul at Nick@KairosServicesInc.com or call the Kairos office at 972-369-0015.